Athlete Ally seeks a motivated self-starter to fill the open role of Communications Manager/Senior Manager. The hire will assist in the development and implementation of the overall marketing and communications strategy for Athlete Ally — helping to advance its position as an industry leader working at the intersection of sport and LGBTQ equality.
The Communications Manager/senior manager’s primary responsibilities will include:
- Manage all earned media outreach around major campaigns and initiatives. Experience with media outreach, and existing relationships with journalists and editors highly preferred.
- Ongoing news bureau management, including helping build relationships and connections with reporters and editors that may not be familiar with the organization
- Development of press releases, presentations, op-eds, statements and materials for the organization.
- Help research and secure speaking opportunities for Executive Director and organization leadership at target events and conferences.
- Oversee Athlete Ally’s rapid response work, including monitoring for breaking news where Athlete Ally should be responding and sharing our point of view. Then, conducting outreach to secure coverage around breaking news.
- Oversee Athlete Ally’s digital presence, including community management of all channels (Twitter, Facebook and Instagram). Experience managing an organization’s social media channels highly preferred.
- Partner with development director and associate to drive Athlete Ally’s email marketing efforts to our national subscriber list. Collaborate on editorial calendar and storymining to help elevate stories amongst our supporters.
- Collaborate with Athlete Ally Chief of Staff on finalizing Athlete Ally communications strategy, including executing on innovate ways to elevate the organization’s brand amongst key stakeholders.
- Develop and implement “subscriber” growth strategy, resulting in a significant number of new emails into the organization’s subscriber list
- Managing interns and vendors as needed
- Bachelor’s degree or relevant experience
- Familiairty with LGBTQ community and relevant challenges/issues
- General sports knowledge and ability to understand the relevant intersection of sport and social justice
- Knowledge of Adobe Suite preferred
- Knowledge of social media analytics tools preferred
- 3-5 years of relevant work experience
About Athlete Ally
Athlete Ally believes sport will change the world when it welcomes and empowers all people. As a leading national nonprofit working at the intersection of sport and LGBTQ equality, Athlete Ally works to end the structural and systemic oppression that isolates, excludes and endangers LGBTQ people in sport. We educate individuals and institutions to understand obstacles to inclusion for LGBTQ people and how they can build an inclusive culture within their athletic communities. We work to ensure sport governing bodies, teams and leagues adopt policies that reflect the diversity of their constituents. We incubate athlete activism to advance LGBTQ equality in and through sport.
Applications should be submitted here.